Monday, September 23, 2013

Finding an African American History a HARD 2 FIND Course



CERTAIN curriculum IS HARD TO FIND!

Yes - VERY hard. MUCH LESS OFFERED IN MAINSTREAM education.

Since I'm homeschooling, I wanted to take the time to find a curriculum that would teach the history of our family's culture.

My family consist strongly of three races, there may be more but my kids know current members who are African American, American Indian (Occaneechi Tribe), and Caucasion (European decsent).

So, I wanted to come up with a History Curriculum that would explore all of those members in our family and their history.

This post I'm focusing on the African American Curriculum. And what we are going to attempt to do.

FAMILY TREE

The first thing I'm going to have the kids do, is start working on a family tree. This will be VERY difficult for our family as many African American families can really only easily trace back their roots for 3 or 4 generations. After that, it takes major research.

But I'm going to have the kids start building this to give them an idea of how hard it is. And to set the stage for their understanding of the WHY it's so hard.

DVD REVIEW OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN

Every week we will have family movie time. Focusing on our History. The focus for this segment will be African American history. I'd like to show them the journey from Slavery to Achievement.


1) Slavery and the making of America:
http://www.ambrosevideo.com/items.cfm?&id=1161
Series of 8 programs on 4 DVDs
Educational history DVD series EXTRAS:
-Hi-Definition Enhanced
-English Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired (Optional)
-Spanish Subtitles (Optional)
-Instructors Guide
-Photo Gallery
-Tests
-Historical Documents
-Timeline
2) History of Black Achievement Vides: http://www.ambrosevideo.com/items.cfm?id=1166

BOOKS TO LEAD DISCUSSION

Lessons about Africa

Classical Africa' by Molefi Kete Asante
African American History: A Journey of Liberation by Molefi Kete Asante

HARD TO FIND COURSES

It's unbelievable that we have such a rich educational system but there are so many different subject matter that finding detailed lesson plans or books for is such an adventure.

I personally cringed when my daughter asked for this course because that meant I'd have to piece it together for her.

Now she's got her eye on some other interesting topics and I hope I can find a boxed curriculum for those :-D

DO YOU PUT TOGETHER A CURRICULUM THAT GIVES YOUR KIDS A GLIMPS OF THEIR ORIGINS?


2 comments:

  1. I suggested Abounding Grace. It's actually Grace Abounding. Whoops. Anyhow, here is the link: http://www.coreknowledge.org/grace-abounding-anthology

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks so much for suggesting this! I'm glad we aren't doing this course til next year it's taking me forever to find materials for it.

    ReplyDelete