Friday, January 16, 2015

Keeping Active, Ansy, Kids Focused with Fun!

HAT OF RE-DIRECTION


Yeah, I have wigglers, kidders, and all around goofy kids.

I try several things to redirect them.

I had to use this more when we first started homeschooling.

How to use this hat full of exercises, things to do, to re-direct.


When you notice your kid starting to goof off. Make them an offer:

1) Decide to get back on task
2) Pick a task out of the hat
What's in the HAT?

1) Timed exercises
2) Goofy concentration games that are physical
3) All under 5 min
4) With directions on how much time to set on the timer

Exercises and Goofy Concentration Games In Our Hat

Jumping Jacks, push ups, run in place, squats, stretches, sit-ups, wall stands (any exercise you can find)

Stand on one foot, draw a quick masterpeice, read out loud a funny comic, play the silent game, stare at a picture until you can see the 3 D image.

We No Longer use it as much now.

Why? Because my kids now want to finish - go to their activity of the day - and play video games (their reward for finishing all their work).

WEEKLY WRAP UP

Tiger Lilly is doing AWESOME with her online classes and Dual Credit College course. She's found a rythm and we've shortened some of her days to work with her long classes. She's now down to just 3 Abeka courses, she's finished most all of the others.  We are having to get her some help on a roadblock she hit with Algebra 2 concepts and Editing skills.

I had to sit with her the first week to review how to log onto her college course. I also created a calender lesson log with all her task and due dates spelled out. This is working for her. Next semester (starts on Jan 26th) I'll teach her to do it for herself.

We purchased the dress for the homeschool Fire & Ice Dance for this Friday.

Also, we signed her up for a dance class, for exercise. She'll still be doing martial arts.


Speed Racer had a great week. His schedule is more involved in someways for me. The parts that are independent he is doing well. Math (fractions and decimals) are still his struggle. We are working on that. As well as his writing, so we are having him doin Time4Writing (paragraphs then essay). It really just seems like he's a lazy writer.

Hands on homeschooling is hard on a working parent. He has several classes I'm working with him one on one. Anatomy, Spelling You See, American History, Speed Reading, Saxon Math. He enjoys these subjects and working with me, so I can dedicate the next few months doing this with him. But next school year, I'll cut this to 2 subjects per semester.

Since Monday was a freezing rain day, and Speed Racer slept later than usual, we skipped dance class for him so he could finish his work.

Rose (my older daughter) dropped in after her job interview. She got the job as a PT - Tech by the way. As well as she had an offer for summer employment. Not to mention, she is also taking 2 college courses over the winter break because she just wants to be finished. Now we are doing her scholarship applications (about 26 of them) and she's applying for computer programming summer internship jobs.

Razor Ray (my oldest son) came over also to ask my help in setting up his resume and submission to jobs search websites. I helped him with his cover letter. Then we did his monthly budget and financial planning since he desires to move into another apartment in August. My husband and I are not supporting him financially for his final years in college so he will have to work two jobs for the summer to save up for his expenses during the school year if he won't be moving back home with us. He currently works one job, but is working hard to get another this summer.

WORKING PARENT's LOG

Meals. Didn't get to do any prep really. I did have some meat that I'd season, then thawed for dinner on Monday. However, the rest of the week my hubby picked up fast food. I hope to get back on track next week since I will be off work on Monday.

Cleaning. Nope, did none really. We'd just gotten back from our holiday cruise, then had one week where we started our new coursework. Also, Sunday, we went to New York to visit family so the house is still wrecked from the end of the year.

Work & Life Balance. Still wonky since I am having to do more hands on homeschooling with Speed Racer. Now when I get home I don't get any time to do my side business so I'm behind on deadlines there. The day gig is going well and I'm enjoying what the day to day work is and the team I work with.


Lesson Planning. Am working on the next two weeks of lesson plans since I will have to move courses around a bit for Tiger Lilly since her Winter College Course semester will end and she will start her Spring Semester taking 3 classes.

Rest. I got plenty this week since Monday we had freezing rain - so I slept in. Then took power naps the rest of the week. Wednesday I actually went to bed at 7pm and my hubby took over for me. It was great. But Thursday I had to wash and style my oldest daughter's hair so it was a late night that I paid for in just 4 hrs sleep before going to work Friday.


4 comments:

  1. You guys stay busy! We all have those weeks where it's more eating out than in. You'll find your rhythm again soon :) Finding it after the holidays always takes me longer than I want to admit too. Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't get over how incredibly efficient your household is! Even when you feel that you've dropped the ball somewhere, you still get so much more done than I have in a week. That's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for thinking that. I don't feel that way too often. Although, I've been running this gig now for 20 years (my oldest is that age) my husband is a big help and I try to do the prep I need to on Sundays. But it doesn't always get done.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Hwee, you're all doing a fab job!

    ReplyDelete