Friday, August 30, 2013

The Hectic Schedule of a Working Homeschooling Parent

*POW! You're OFF

That's pretty much how I feel when I consider my homeschool and work schedule.

THE METHOD TO THE MADNESS

But there is a method here. One of Madness, Fun and Learning!

My work schedule varies but I'm the EARLY one and my Hubba is the LATE shift.

Days - Varies (5 Days) between Mon-Friday but we are changing to 4 days the 1st week of Oct- so if there's a bump in the schedule we adjust

Tools - Abeka DVD Academy disk and books, Workboxes, Teaching Textbooks, Youth Digital Game Programming online Interactive (www.youthdigital.com), TypingWeb (www.typingweb.com), and workbooks.

Ch-Changes: Tiger Lilly wants to add Japanese to her packed schedule O_o how will I fit that in? She doesn't like working independent really.

THE SCHEDULE

5-6am - The Day gig calls for mom

11am - Dad wakes up kids (either he drops them off at daycare or my MIL or BIG FAB FUZZ brother or BIG SASSY SIS are there with them)

2pm - Mom/Teacher/Driver/Sports Team Mom shows up after working her full day outside the home.

2:30pm - School begins. (Mom facilitates with use of Abeka DVDs)

3:20pm - Snack

3:45pm - Resume School

4:20pm - Snack

4:45pm - Resume School

5:45pm - Sandwich, Drink, And Fruit To Go

6pm - Leave for Sports (Cheerleading or Tumbling for Tiger Lilly and Soccer or Breakdancing for Speed Racer)

8pm - Home eat Dinner (Yeah, I know everyone says it's bad to eat this late, but hey have you seen our family schedule?)

9pm - Resume School (Dad Teaches  - using Abeka DVDs & Teaching Textbooks, Youth Digital) - Meanwhile mom is making lunches for everyone for the next day.

10:30pm - School's done (even when it's been a rough day early on, they seem to finish up by this time)

SO DO YOU HAVE A METHOD TO YOUR MADNESS?


5 comments:

  1. Sounds wild! You just hang in there and do the best you can and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! Having overdone it in my past, I know the value of sleeping enough, eating well, setting priorities, exercising, and taking the time to laugh with your family.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is, and many people ask me how I do it. But I have to tell you, I did this when they were in school so you could put in 'homework' time where there is 'homeschool' time and it was even more challenging because the kids were tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm impressed by your dedication to homeschool! I imagine you must get exhausted at times. I'll be praying for you! Thanks for linking up at Friendship Friday. Please come again to share your unique perspective and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, I'll be needing them. But I will make this happen for my kids. Just trying to pace myself and remember it's okay to take a step back if I need to.

      Delete
  4. I am impressed by your schedule. We do most of our schooling at night, as I work full time four days a week. I am thankful that God gave me a strategy so I can still homeschool. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete