Friday, April 15, 2016

Flying and Overnights at the Polynesian Center! Hooray!

This Was The Best Idea Ever!

Yes, I am loving my new home. Love the wonderful things I can do with my kids and new experiences. Flying Planes! Overnights at the Polynesian Center and Sea Life Parks. Hooray!


Speed Racer's first Flying lesson. The boy even landed the plane. His pilot teacher told him he was a natural. 


Then they had an overnight campout with their dad at the Sea Life Park where the leading man worked in the movie FIFTY FIRST DATES.

And...just this week, we went spent the night at the Polynesian Cultural Center and it was fantastic. All these great get togethers were coordinated by our homeschool group moms. Amazing women to put together these customized homeschool adventures.



Speed Racer volunteering for acting out story telling at the Polynesian Center.

BACK TO THE GRIND of planning next school year.

Yepper, that's what I've been doing this week. I was looking at a program called Dual Credit At Home since I tried putting together a program for my older students and JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME. 
So, a friend of mine is thinking of going in half with me.
Speed Racer's plan is basically going to be Abeka, some Landry Academy classes (redo of Alg 1) and Study.com for this year to orientate him with the subjects to be covered the following year. But the following year, I am considering just having him do Dual Credit At Home for CLEPs and DSST test. Both colleges we are considering accept the tests.

Tiger Lilly, will take her college courses and a few Landry and Digipen classes. I'm also looking for an in person Japanese tutorial school here since it is like the 2nd language here. This summer she is taking Java Programming 2 with the college and Calculus as a homeschooling course to prepare her for the college course this Fall.

TVs in the BEDROOMS
I am allowing the kids to have TVs in their bedrooms now. However, they are not hooked up to cable television but we are using a ROKU device for them to access netflix and hulu. 

School Work in Bedrooms
It's come a time where I had to separate them. Speed Racer is a constant distraction to Tiger Lilly. So I installed camera's in Tiger Lilly's room to make sure she stays on task. And Speed Racer is stuck at the dining room table or portable desk I have set up for him in the living room until he is finished his work.


SPEED RACER (age 11yrs) my Middle Schooler
Homeschooled at 4th grade on.

Speed Racer can't finish the projects for two of his Landry classes. Sheesh! The items have been lost in shipping or we just can't find them. I won't spend the $200 for supply replacement. Therefore, he will just watch the videos, do the reading and the questions for chapters in Electricity and Robotics He did 2 assignments over the last two weeks in his Scratch.

Finally finished 2 weeks worth of work in his 5 Paragraph Writing Class.

Getting through Algebra 1 with good scores. Basic Math review with CTCMath on Fractions - something it seems like the kid keeps forgetting.

Membean he has recovered some of his word recognition loss. Making good leeway with Python Programming.



TIGER LILLY (age 14 yrs) the Dual enrolled High Schooler
Homeschooled at 7th grade on.

The college courses are challenging. I  had to hire her a tutor for Pre-Calc.  The teacher in this class isn't very helpful and the school doesn't offer tutoring other than peer tutor service that is hit or miss. We dropped the Pre-Calc College class and are reviewing Pre-Calc using CLEP Professor and working with the tutor. Tiger Lilly will retake that class the 1st half of summer.  We agreed that if she wanted to drop the class, she had to use the time before the re-take to study and prepare. Also, we went on 'Rate My Professor' and researched the summer online course teacher better. The one Tiger Lilly had, actually got a 'D' score from students. (Epic Fail on mom's part).

She is doing well with her Professional Writing Class and I check her homework assignments. Economics took awhile to get the hang of. She is passing the test with B's instead of the D she made the first week which freaked her out.

The Landry courses is slow going. I asked them to stop grading her for the course. It's alright because I will take over the grading of the topic for her. She is frustrated she can't participate in the live classes do to our timezone change. C Programming she is now on the #2 program of the 3 she was behind, but she keeps slipping further. PC Pro is caught up with quizzes and video viewing. Unfortunately with Japanese we are to a point of frustration with how far behind we are. I am going to find a school for her in person to work on it.

The Relational Database design using Udemy and SQLZoo is easy to her and I believe she will do well in this class this fall semester.


WORKING PARENT's LOG


Meals are on a roll. We are now making veggie and fruit smoothies daily so the kids get in their vitamins. It's also helped me as a meal replacement for dinner. I pre-made cut the fruit and placed in the freezer. Also, pre-made dinner and tried some new recipes. Hubby's here and he's been prepping dinner for me. I am going to miss that when he starts back at work on Monday.

Cleaning. Well we have been making up our beds daily, easy to clean until another shipped box shoes up at our door that we have to unpack. Ugh!

Work & Life Balance. Finally, things have calmed down at the day gig. Love the new job though. The work really gives me a good diversion from things I have to do at home. And I get in 2 - 15 minute walks as well as a 30 minute lunch break with some work friends. I enjoy having the juggle of both work and home. It gives me and hubby tons to talk about. Also, ways to meet new friends.

Lesson Planning. On track these weeks, but it's our Spring schedule and not as hectic. Since we are back to doing year around school, I won't get a complete break from this.

Rest. I am sleeping like a baby, now that hubby is here and reminding me to go to sleep at a decent hour, lol! And he is helping with homeschooling.  

Marriage Check Up. These last weeks have been wonderful since hubby is here. We try not to bicker as much since we still remember how much we missed each other. But we haven't resumed date night every week since the kiddos are hogging up dad's free time for video game playing and sight seeing.


1 comment: