Monday, July 28, 2014

Creating a Block Schedule to Get More Learning Done


Do you ever feel like that? I do, all the time.

This year though, we will 'get 'er done' by using a BLOCK SCHEDULE. Most traditional schools in my area do something similar so I stole their idea and made it my own.

THE SET UP

We use WORKBOXES a concept I found in author Sue Patrick's book and showcased on several homeschooling blogs. Check out some ideas on how to set it up here: click

THE SCHOOL SUBJECT LIST

I break up subjects based on the following:

1) Which classes should be done everyday
2) What class would the student benefit from a break
3) Can this class be condensed? Spread out?

DRAFT DAYS FOR SCHOOL

Get a calender (I use some of the free ones online)
Block out days where there is no school
Block out days where you are cutting school short
Block out your Semesters (Like a College would. We have Fall/Winter and Spring Semesters).
Note the number of lessons for each subject

HERE's MY SAMPLE BLOCK SCHEDULE FOR THE FALL

Create a template for your season's schedule.

The schedule is placed on the outside - see through - pocket on my kid's notebooks.

They take a dry erase marker and 'X' out the subjects they've finished.

At the middle / then the end of the day I go and check what was finished and what wasn't, check / correct work and return it to the student that evening.

Note the Numbers on the left of each subject- They represent the WorkBox Drawer the materials are in for the course.

Note the underlined L# - That notes the Lesson Number for that particular subject. Abeka Academy DVD/Streaming programming is very organized and has a specific Lesson Number for each school day. This makes planning for me VERY easy.

Note the Subect Name on the right side - This lets both parents (my husband, my tutor and myself) know how long the particular class will run and the subject name.

Note the sports/extra curricular activities at the bottom - Those are added each season.




No comments:

Post a Comment