Monday, July 22, 2019

Somebody is almost finished Summer School


CYBERCAMP
Just part of his jam packed summer!

So far, Speed Racer has had a jammed packed summer. One to remember for any high schooler, and one I planned with precision. 

This is the summer is the last in which he can just goof off and have a schedule based on fun. Soon (planned in 2020) he will be a full-time student at the Airplane Mechanics school. The Community College he hopes to finish his pre-req classes this Fall or Spring so he can be qualified to enter the program. So this summer, I have given him lots of leverage and freedoms since I wanted to make it special.

CAMPS
This summer was exceptional with camps, he had no drama, which shows how much he has matured.

Jr Lifeguard Camp - it was totally free and a bit overcrowded
Cyber Camp - it was totally free and awesome for one week
FunDay Camp - he attended for an entire month with activities and included food
Sailing Camp - he loved it, even though it was really expensive
Christian Teen Inspire Camp - this camp was a pleasant surprise for him


EXTRA CURRICULA

He has been on the paddling/canoe team this summer and enduring intense practice 5 days a week. Then also squeezing in some breakdancing. His body is feeling it and has a sore shoulder we will get checked out. He's doing an awesome boat trip between Islands and ending the summer with a breakdance competition. This summer his friend pool has exploded and he's had a few girlfriends too. That meant dad and I spent tons of time driving him all over the place.


SCHOOL STILL HAPPENED

Luckily, he has friends who attended summer school and educational enrichment camps over the summer. That's the reason he didn't have a fit when he had to take classes this summer.

We dropped his second course since starting Dual Enrollment. His teacher was a dud and it was frustrating since the class was an elective in Movies and Theory which my son was actually excited about.


Classes he is taking:
Database Design - 5 weeks of the 8 weeks done with projects, discussion post and papers
Enterprise System Architecture - 5 weeks of 8 weeks done with papers and discussion post
Marketing- 5 weeks of 8 weeks done with online test, papers, and discussion post



CHALLENGES

One major challenge is getting into the local Community College Airplane Mechanic program. Problems we are having will be worked through, but they are still irritating.

-They insist he needs to take the Accuplacer (Math and English) even though he has taken the required courses through Straighterline and they were approved by ACE (which the Community College states it accepts credit from.) The problem is the lack of knowledge on the side of the administrator and we have to be persistent and educate them properly on their own policies. Ugh!

-The CC is in the dark ages with technology. Filling out the application and updating it was a nightmare. Their application software is unsupported and literally only allows one application and no corrections. Everything has to be either emailed, faxed, mailed or taken to them. If my child was planning to attend this CC for Dual Enrollment it would have been even more frustrating.

WORK and HOME BALANCE Working and Homeschooling 

MEAL PREP: Well, the kids have been prepping and complaining about it. However, my work schedule has been a monster and I haven't been that great at cooking when I get home at 6pm.

HOUSE CLEANING: I did get around to washing and folding clothes. My son, through bribery, and the fact he wanted his friends to come over, actually cleaned. Then his friend who wanted to stay over, helped him clean and then cooked me dinner! Needless to say, that child can stay over my house whenever he wants.

LESSON PLANNING: I've been just writing his assignments on the dry erase board and basically holding his planned fun hostage until he finishes his work. It's been a struggle 

MARRIAGE CHECKUP: Since we have been joining friends for a weekly game night, there has been a war going on. My husband won't let me win one darned game. He is really good at board games, talks lots of smack (which upsets me and makes me lose the game and sometimes threaten to not play anymore with him - only for me to have this horrible competitive streak that makes me want to play just one more time.) After weeks of losing every darn game I threw at him, I finally one a few in a row (that he swears he 'let' me win). So...we are at somewhat of a tug of war. It's fun, ads depth to the relationship and well, gets me riled up.

SELF CARE: After I have ran myself to death preparing for my promo (I still have a course I need to finish in 3 weeks) I finally was so exhausted I took a 3 hour nap and have been napping every day for a week. I really wanted to see the Lion King, but bailed on the hubs and my daughter because, well, I wanted to take a nap instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment