Friday, August 17, 2018

The First Day of School ~ Again

A SLOW START
Is most times, the best start

This week, we started back at school. The summer was great. Filled with new adventures like my son's new love with Paddling which led us to Distance Canoeing this Fall.

My 17 yr old, graduated from college, started an internship, registered for Graduate School and planning on applying for a new full-time job.



KIDS PROGRESS

SPEED RACER's starts of in good shape.

He's successfully finished his Straighterline courses which transferred 45 credits. Then finished summer classes (2 with one being a repeat). He passed both with A's.


Now he is taking the following 

Homeschool Classes:
Investing: Curriculum is the Cashflow Game and Youtube Playlist Tutorial on Investing in the Stock Market.

-He finished the first 5 videos, downloaded app Robinhood, and he researched and purchased his first three stocks in Groupon with his $15 allowance.

Recreational Pilot License Training: He wants to get this next summer so we are adding it into his curriculum.

-He finished the first 1/2 of the 1st video lesson and said he needed a break.
-He basically just skimmed through the study book.

Black History: We are deep diving into specific events like Black Wall Street and Pilots that has to do with our subjects.

- We watched documentary on Black Wall Street and researched some additional written stories we discussed.

Astronomy: Something he wants to explore.

- Didn't get to it this week. Had big plans, but they failed

Bible Review: We are doing this together with videos.

- Didn't get to it this week. 

Cooking and Car Repair: The cooking I am letting him build his own recipes and prep dinner. Car Repair, he is helping his father and brother fix our cars. Oil Changes, Brake Pad changes, etc.

- Cooking was done three days this week. New recipe for chicken and homemade soup.
- Car Repair - nothing was done this week.

PE: Distance Canoe Team, Martial Arts and Breakdancing.

- Practiced with Distance Canoe Team - 3 times and did Canoe Race
- Martial Arts - practiced once
- Breakdancing - practice daily, formal rehearsal one day

JavaScript and Unity 3D Programming: A Saturday small class with teacher that meets from 8am til 1:30pm. All other kids are public school kids.

College Classes
Start next week O_o eek!


Biology with Lab (Aug to Oct)
Introduction to In-depth Research (Sept to Oct)
Information Systems in Organizations (Sept to Nov)
Advanced Business Writing (Oct to Dec)
College Algebra (Oct to Dec)

One of the reasons we selected this online University is because: (1) classes are only 4 or 8 weeks long (2) all classes are online but it's a brick and mortar college also (3) this college took Straighterline, Study.com, CLEP and DSST credits up to 90 credits (4) we got IN STATE college rates once son completed 4 Straighterline courses


TIGER LILLY the Homeschool Graduate with a BS Degree, now Working on MS Degree


We are homeschooling GRAD-SCHOOL 'sort of'. At this point I am Tiger Lilly's accountability coach. Her graduate school only allows her to take one class at a time. 

My job (she asked me to) is to review her papers and projects before she turns it in. Truth be told, she started her first grad class in July. It is ORIENTATION class and she has needed no changes to her work other than a few questions here and there.

She's come a long way since we started homeschooling.

She filled out some online job applications with me guiding her, then followed up with email cover letters when needed. 

Her last week of her first grad class is this week until September. She plans to work on her art commissions she's earned by marketing of her micro-business.




WORK and HOME BALANCE Working and Homeschooling 

MEAL PREP: I have moved the task of cooking and prepping dinner to my youngest kids. My 14 yr old sun is turning out to be a great cook. My 17 yr old is a reluctant but decent cook.



HOUSE CLEANING: It's been a good cleaning week on the kids part. The main rooms and kitchens are pretty decent. I just need them to do better at cleaning the floors and dishes, but hey, I'm happy they are doing a good job. 

LESSON PLANNING: I have done a loose lesson plan. They are both in programs that plan the lessons for me. I do adhoc planning of the few homeschool classes I created. 

MARRIAGE CHECKUP: Hubs and I are finding more time together now that the kids are in a practice of spending time over friends houses and doing their work consistently.


SELF CARE: I signed up to get monthly massages and bought myself a subscription box that cost only $20 a month of perfumes and jewelry. I am so excited I treated myself.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds like you all are off to a great start.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you guys have a great start! I'm impressed with the home-college idea! I've heard some families do that but I never dug into it to see how it would work. I hope your weeks continue to get into good balance as the school your progresses!

    ReplyDelete