Monday, October 21, 2013

Those Seemingly UnProductive Days

It has happened to all of us. Now that I homeschool in addition to the tons of work I do outside of the home, those days where things just don't work out can be frustrating.

THINGS THAT DERAIL US

Let's face it. Our home students have good days and DOG days. You know, they don't want to wake up. They argue with you for hours about how BORING the work is. They want to take tons of bathroom breaks and you want to scream. Sometimes you do.

IT's OKAY

Well on days I have like that when I have to go to work. Sometimes guess what? I leave early or I just don't go. I even take a long lunch break just to get my head back in the game.

TAKE A SIESTA

Times like this. I give us all a 'timed' break. I set the alarm and tell the kids they can do anything BUT play video games or go outside. Usually, they just get a snack, watch a show, or read a book of choice. Me - I take a short nap.

Why? Well because if Mom's cranky, her kids know it and mom/teacher can't redirect when cranky.

MAKE UP DAY...

Sometimes the day is a totally wash. So...we make it up. I move the work and lesson to the following day. Or do school on a day I had plan to have no school.

SHORTEN THE LESSON

This is another secret weapon. On days where we have somewhere to go, the kids are not engaged, or I'm too distracted to do an entire lesson. We shorten it. I don't do their DVD teaching section, I teach the new subject myself to the student. Or we don't do every homework practice problem or even cut our any of our electives for that day.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR DAY's GONE TO THE DOGs?


No comments:

Post a Comment