Monday, September 9, 2013
Do Earphones Encourage Learning?
This week I graduated my 4th grader to wearing earphones for his Math, Language and Science classes.
I remember when I went to school, during READING we had to WEAR EARPHONES to do our work and practice.
Wow what a difference it made. I plan on getting him some cooler earphones but these were just to try him out.
EARPHONE TEST WEEK
Prior to this week, for the first 30 days of our school year, Speed Racer didn't use them. It was best that way because we had to work on other challenges before this point.
However, I wanted to see if using the earphones would increase is focus and listening to his video school. Previous to this week he's overcome the following:
2) Need for frequent breaks
3) Lack of enthusiam for finishing assigned work
Therefore I thought he had matured well and could benefit from focused hearing.
1) Day one - use earphones for one class - one in which student has to complete something taught.
2) Day two - add another class - observe the student to see if they are still fidgeting, moving, or spacing out.
3) Day three - add another class - observe quality of work, test, quizzes to see if there is an improvement.
After a week of using the earphones, we have seen the following improvements.
1) Improvement in Quiz grades. Went from 'B' to 'A'
2) Completion of work faster.
3) Less movement and distracted fidgeting.
DO YOU USE EARPHONES for YOUR KID'S LEARNING?